The Field TripField trip is an important component of science teaching. It is an excursion taken outside the classroom for the purpose of making science real through observation. “If properly planned, field trips afford the students opportunity to become actively involved in science processes such as: observing, classifying, interpolating and making deduction.” Field trip gives the students the opportunity to know the practical application of scientific facts, concepts, theories and laws.
Advantages of Field Trip
- Field trip allows a class to embark on activities that are too cumbersome to be done in the classroom.
- Through field trip, students develop science process skills such as: observing, classifying, data collection, e.t.c.
- Field trip helps to add reality to, and verification of scientific laws. Field trip makes science meaningful because students are able to see the application of scientific concepts.
- Field trip makes students to gain experience which ordinarily they may not be able to afford.
- Field trip foster teacher-student relationship and student-student relationship
Demerits of Field Trip
- Field trip is difficult to plan. It is uneconomical in terms of money, time and energy.
- Students and teacher are exposed to accident during field trip since it entails traveling from one place to another.
- It does not lead to easy coverage of the syllabus.
Guidelines for Field Trips
- The teacher should make a trip to the place of visit before taken students there. The teacher’s trip will enable him to know the possible danger and difficulties students will encounter during the visit.
- The teacher should tell the students what to look for and how to obtain the information from staff in the factory.
- The teacher should carry first-aid kit in case of accident.
- Students should be informed about the materials they will need like note book, pencil, hand, etc
- Adequate arrangement should be made for transportation
- The reports presented by students after visit should be discussed in group with the teacher.
- The school authority should be duly informed about the visit.